Find out more about wood production and stock levels in New Zealand.
For the year ending September 2019
- Almost 37 million cubic metres of roundwood was removed.
- Total sawn timber production was 4.4 million cubic metres.
- 62% of all roundwood produced was exported.
- Total panel production was 1.8 million cubic metres.
- 1.4 million air-dry tonnes of wood pulp was produced.
How this information is collected
MPI surveys wood processors from around New Zealand, both quarterly and annually, for their production and stock information. Each survey represents about 125 timber, panel, and pulp mills throughout New Zealand.
This production information is then compiled with export data sourced from Statistics New Zealand. Combining these 2 data sets allows MPI to calculate an estimate for the roundwood removed from New Zealand forests. This estimate for roundwood removals is then released, along with production and trade information.
- Roundwood removals, year ended 31 March, 1951 to most recent [XLSX, 25 KB]
- Roundwood removals by wood supply region, 2002 to most recent [XLSX, 16 KB]
- Estimated processing of roundwood by wood supply region, 2002 to most recent [XLSX, 16 KB]
- Production, trade, and consumption of roundwood, 1996 to most recent [XLSX, 19 KB]
- Share of total roundwood removals by wood supply regions, 2002 to 2008 [XLSX, 15 KB]
- Production of pulp, 1951 to most recent [XLSX, 16 KB]
- Production of paper and paperboard, 1951 to most recent [XLSX, 15 KB]